Thursday, October 28, 2010

Why Another Boring Diet Blog (ABDB)?

Well, first of all, I’m a writer. I don’t make a living as a writer, but writing helps me process. I’m an external processer, meaning I have to talk through things (or write through them) before I know my own mind. My husband, R (you will never, ever catch me using the word “hubby” or “DH”), is an internal processer. When he has a big decision, R takes a walk and comes back with the decision made. But I need to get everyone’s input, advice, and opinion. I need to test out various theories, weigh pros and cons, and sit with different imaginary decisions before I can tell what *I* really think.

Second, I spent some time googling this diet (oh, is it obvious?) and found that reading about others on this diet was helpful. However, I found it really hard to find any information about the HCG diet that was not overwhelmingly in favor or overwhelmingly against. What was missing was the voice of a skeptic with an open mind--someone who did the research, knew the pros and cons, knew the advantages and risks, and didn't rely on hyperbole to hype it up or tear it down. I hope to fill that void, but we'll see. I may eventually become a convert to one or the other extreme position based on my experience.

Finally, I know what people think about this diet, because I have heard people talk about it.  I Imagine I will get a fair amount of shit for doing it, though I don't actually know yet. I think the disapproval will stem mostly because of their skepticism that the HCG is healthy or effective and because of their certainty that eating 500 calories a day is a terrible idea. I have decided to do it anyway, but I am fully aware that I do not have everyone’s support. I guess part of this blog process allows me to adress and counter the arguments. I feel like if people could see inside my heart and inside my head and really get what it feels like to be me in this body, they would understand that I am ready to try anything. They would understand that I have not undertaken this lightly or easily or on a whim.


I am absolutely terrified that people will be talking about how desperate and crazy I am behind my back. Why do I even care?

No comments:

Post a Comment