Thursday, November 4, 2010

On Hunger (aka P2D4)

Check it out! I haven't been below 220 since my first kid was born almost 6 years ago. I've been between 221-238 for the last 5 years.

I have seen on the HCG forums that you count your weight loss from your highest weight, not your pre-load day weight. In that case, I have lost 11 pounds in 3 days of the low calorie diet. Unbelievable. I definitely feel it in my stomach and face already, so it can't be all water weight. Is my scale working right? 11 pounds in 3 days?


DateWeightChange Since Last Weigh InTotal Weight Loss
10/30/2010228.2n/an/a
10/31/2010228.60.40.4
11/1/2010229.611.4
11/2/2010225.6-4-4
11/3/2010221.6-4-8
11/4/2010218.6-3-11


Yeah. I'm still really fucking hungry. I think it is a tiny bit better today (day 4 of the 500-calorie stage), but I am still really fucking hungry. I've seen how this goes for people, and they forget how hard it was at the beginning. So I am here to testify: it is HARD. But so doable when you're seeing weight loss like this.

And here's the thing. I'm not in agony. I am uncomfortably hungry, but I'm not miserable. In yoga class today, the instructor talked about finding the point in the pose that was neither too comfortable nor too uncomfortable. She said if you're too comfortable, your mind will wander to other things, and you will be distracted. And if you're too uncomfortable, your mind will be focused on nothing but the pain and discomfort. You should find the middle ground so that you can focus and not be distracted. 

I sort of feel like that's where I am with my hunger. I often notice it throughout the day and think to myself, "Wow, I am really fucking hungry." But only at night after 10 or 11 p.m. (when I should be asleep anyway!) does it cross the line into discomfort. So I can handle it. I'm handling it. I don't feel like my energy is flagging. I don't feel really grumpy. If anything, I feel like my attitude is brighter and more positive than usual, either because of the detoxing that is happening or because of the hope I'm starting to have.

I'm told that the intense hunger lasts 5 days at most, and this is day4 for me. If I do a second round, I will definitely try to load better I'm hopeful that it will start to improve in the next couple of days. I'm also sort of afraid that the end of the hunger will bring the end of the crazy weight loss. I know I can't lose at this rate forever and that most women settle out to an average of about 0.5 to 0.75 pounds a day of weight loss, so that means I will almost certainly hit a patch where I'm losing much slower. It will be difficult to maintain motivation if I'm this hungry and losing 0.2 in a day. It's much easier to maintain motivation when I'm this hungry and losing 3 or 4 pounds a day.

Here's the other thing. One of the most frequent things I hear is, "why don't you do a more reasonable diet? Why something so extreme?" When I am eating 1300-1500 calories a day, I am craving things all day long. I feel hungry and irritable and deprived. And I lose a pound a week. The way I look at it, I can either be 60% uncomfortable and lose a pound a week, or I can be 80% uncomfortable and lose a pound a day.

So far on this diet, I actually do not feel like I am craving certain things. I just feel hungry. In a really weird way, it feels kind of good to be able to start to understand the difference between hunger and cravings; I think it will help me during maintenance.

So that's where things are for now. H-U-N-G-R-Y. But losing weight! So I'm doing okay for now.

3 comments:

  1. You say it so well, Kat. That's the way I feel also. The payoff is so worth it. I too am incredibly hungry. I am at P2D2 and this morning weighed 216.8 down from 220, so I'm happy with all of the weight of the two gorge days gone plus 3.2 pounds. I'll take it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found this today, kat. Haven't gotten much into it, but it looks like a wealth of info for tweaking the program. E.g., I am going to try my drops 4X per day and see it I'm more comfortable that way. But I'll check here first for tips.

    http://hcgdietinfo.com/hcgdietforums/f31/ The whole forum looks good but these threads are specifically about the homeopathic route.

    ReplyDelete
  3. totally in awe of your extreme awesomeness in every way. keep it up! coming at you from the heartland with LOADS and LOADS of love.
    - H

    ReplyDelete